Rabbi Joshua Rabin is Director of Innovation at the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, where he serves as the rabbi-in-residence of SULAM Leadership, the premier leadership training program for synagogue leaders in North America, and the program director for the USCJ Convention, the largest gathering of Conservative Jews in the world. For the past three years, Josh served as the Rabbi in Residence at the Schechter School of Long Island, a K-12 Jewish Day with 400 students from across Long Island, Queens, and Brooklyn. Additionally, Josh serves as the Rosh Tefillah and Rosh Hinukh for Seaboard USY, writing educational material and creating tefillah experiences for hundreds of teenagers in the Maryland/DC area.
While in rabbinical school, Josh served two terms as student body president, and provided rabbinic leadership for a variety of institutions, serving as rabbi at Shaar Shalom Congregation, in Halifax, Nova Scotia, rabbinic intern at the University of Pennsylvania Hillel, founding rabbi of the “Blue Line Jews” in Northwest Chicago, and a hospice chaplain at Beth Israel Medical Center. Josh also took a special interest in experiential Jewish education, teaching history at the Abraham Joshua Heschel High School, serving as the Community Educator for the Genesis Program at Brandeis University, and spending six summers as a Group Leader and counselor for USY on Wheels. Finally, Josh is a trained Community Organizer with the Jewish Funds for Justice, a former rabbinic intern at the Jewish Outreach Institute and Mechon Hadar, and ran on the first-ever New York Marathon team sponsored by the American Jewish World Service.
In his spare time, Josh loves exercising, reading three books at one time, debating the candidates on Top Chef and Shark Tank, continuing his campaign to be the official rabbi of Fantasy Football, and learning to play his guitar. Most importantly, Josh is married to his best friend, Rabbi Yael Hammerman, and they are parents of Hannah and Shai.
For more information, please read the sections below, or check out Josh’s resume page.
- Certificate: Harvard Graduate School of Education, The Principals’ Center, 2014
- Rabbinic Ordination: Jewish Theological Seminary, 2011
- MA, Jewish Education: William Davidson School of Education, 2011- High Honors
- Specialization in Pastoral Counseling: Center for Pastoral Care, 2011
- Rabbi Joel Roth Prize in Halakhah, 2009
- BA- Philosophy and Jewish Studies: University of Maryland, College Park, 2005
- Citatation from University Honors College
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude
- Union Theological Seminary- Studies in Psychiatry and Religion
- Schechter Institute in Jewish Studies- Special track in Jewish Law and Codes
- LUMA Institute: Fundamentals of Innovation through Human-Centered Design (2017)
- Rockwood Leadership Institute: The Art of Leadership (2016)
- Minds at Work: Immunity to Change Facilitator (2015)
- Facing History Foundation: Facing History Educator (2012)
- Keshet: Hineni LGBTQ Educator (2012)
- Jewish Theological Seminary: One unit of Clinical Pastoral Education (2011)
- JOIN for Justice: Community Organizing Training (2009)
- Board Member: Rabbinical School Board of Overseers, Jewish Theological Seminary
- Mentoring Chair: University of Maryland Hillel Young Alumni Council
- Advisory Board: Aleph Project of Long Island
- Past Student President: Rabbinical School, Jewish Theological Seminary (2009-2011)